It’s been quite a while, about two years, but I finally finished the latest MOC. Mostly it was moving to a new house, unpacking, lack of time, and lack of the right pieces that took this one so long. If you want to skip right to the gallery, click here. As usual, click the thumbnails for larger and more detailed images.
Angled Top View
I based this one on the windshield; I wanted to connect the two large windshields together and see what would come of that. I also wanted to use a lot of the 1×2 Locking Hinge Plates to create some sort of angular/tube shaped body for the spaceship. It ended up being a kind of sunfish shaped spaceship. The wings were originally going to be on the top and bottom of the spaceship but because the angle of the wings was not quite sharp enough and because of the length of the ship, it looked better putting them on the side of the ship. A lot of this design changed throughout the building of it.
Hollow Interior view 1 of Spaceship
Some of the bigger challenges were getting the plates to connect together on the interior since the plates were facing opposite directions. I also built the frame of the ship a bit too weakly from the inside; so the hull became too weak once I had to apply the outer pieces and wanted to really fix them on. I now know to reinforce the connections better between the locking hinge plates. The angles of the locking hinge plates also didn’t perfectly line up with standard LEGO brick heights which meant I had to force some of the connections.
Rear view of Slide Rail for Spaceship Interior
Once I had the cockpit design and hull frame figured out, I realized that making an accessible or view-able interior would be difficult so I came up with a rail system to make the interior of the ship more easily accessible. Of course, because I did not reinforce the hull frame enough, the rail system is not as easy to use as I had hoped. I also had a problem with the non-standard sizing I made for myself by using the locking hinge plates and sliding it back all the way in so the engines were fully covered was a bit of a challenge (I didn’t want a bunch of gaps at the rear of the ship).
Although this one took me the longest to make (mostly because I couldn’t find the pieces I needed), it was worth it in the end. Learned a few new techniques and what not to do with the hinge pieces. I still need to learn how to put more of the little details into the MOC while building it instead of just glomming them on at the end. I also need to learn how to design the interiors better while building the frame instead of trying to put pieces on after having all the exterior plates in the way. For more pictures, the gallery can be found here. I may also take some pictures of some of the elements as I take it apart (kids have already played with it, so it’s pretty much done for at this point). I’ve also included some videos below of the entire ship (although it is quite dark despite adequate lighting while working) and you can see how fragile and off balance it is too.
The final bit of furniture in this batch of instructions. I can’t take credit for the bed portion, I’m pretty certain I got most of that from either a LEGO Creator set or from another MOC Builder but I’ve included it here as part of these instructions. You can alter the colors and patterns as you see fit (you’ll see I have both a checkered “blanket” as well as a striped).
Next up is a simple flat screen TV. You can attach this to a wall pretty easily. On this MOC I had a more complicated TV with an adjustable arm for various viewing angles. This version is cleaner and more simple, you can of course alter the flat pieces with other ones as you see fit.
Here’s another piece of furniture, a small red vanity. You can vary it by size or pieces, I just used what I had available (some of my other furniture are not as carefully color coordinated). You could also add a small mirror piece if you have one. I’ve included an image so you can see all the pieces I used for this piece of furniture.
All the vanity pieces
Here’s a link to another video at a higher resolution.
A long time ago, someone asked me for instructions (or rather, what pieces I used) to build some of the furniture in my MOCs. I didn’t forget Michelle, but it has taken me a long time to get around to photographing and arranging it. So here’s the first one, let me know how it works out as instructions (or how it does not). The quality isn’t that great, but it should give you an idea. Obviously, color choices are up to you (as well as replacing the old school Blacktron space tile with another). I’ve also included an image below to better show all the pieces I used for the washer and dryer.
All the pieces for the dryer
All the pieces for the washer
All the pieces, for both the washer and the dryer
Here’s a link to another video with a larger screen resolution.